Signs you may Need to Visit the Dentist
Visiting the dentist twice a year for your regular cleanings is important to staying healthy, but sometimes other issues arise. Even if you keep up with your regular at-home oral care, you still may need to visit the dentist, if not for your professional care, for an irregular problem that can occur. If you do miss your annual cleanings, you will be at a higher risk for gum disease and other serious health issues.
Here's some of the signs that you may need to visit your dentist:
- Pain: If you're experiencing a tooth ache or pain in your mouth of any kind, you should visit your dentist as soon as possible. Toothaches can be very severe, and many dentists offer emergency appointments to help you get the treatment you need quickly. Even if your pain goes away after a few days, it's important to visit an expert to ensure that you don't run into any serious issues by leaving it untreated.
- Sensitivity: Sensitivity to hot and cold in your teeth is a common issue, and if you're experiencing it, visiting your dentist should be your next step. This is often one of the first signs of tooth decay. If you leave this untreated, you could end up with root canals, or other serious and expensive problems.
- Color changes: When you're brushing and flossing each day, take note of the color of your mouth and gums. If you notice any discoloration, this could be a sign of bigger issues, and it should be addressed by a professional.
- Dry mouth: Dry mouth can occur as a side effect to certain prescription drugs, or as you age. However, if you experience dry mouth suddenly, it can be a sign of an infection or bacteria in your mouth, so call your dentist and make an appointment right away.
- Headaches: Many people visit their regular doctor for headaches, but if your general practitioner can't determine the cause, it may be dental related. Teeth grinding while you sleep is a common issue, and it often causes severe headaches for patients. Your dentist can get a custom night-guard and recommend other treatment options if needed.
Dental Office Eagle River
If you have any questions, or if you aren't sure if it's time to visit the dentist, give our office a call today. We are always happy to answer any questions, and we can schedule an appointment with our dentist right away.